[Orgmode] Top-level headers in org-sparse-tree
Iris Jackson
2008-09-09 14:06:01 UTC
I recently started using org mode and I really like it. I have a single
file that contains all information about a project like TODOs, project
specs, user documentation, development notes, etc. For example, the way I
generate the project specs is to first create a sparse tree matching on the
tag I assigned to the specs, then HTML exporting it.

The problem I encountered is that org-tags-sparse-tree shows top-level
headers even if they don't contain the selected tag. Is there a simple way
to turn that off? For example, if I have a top level section called "Bugs",
and it does not contain the "project spec" tag, then I don't want it to show
up in the result :-)

I think this functionality is controlled by org-make-tags-matcher on line
9382 of org.el (version 6.06b), but this function is too intimidating for me
to try to change it.

Please advise. Thanks!
Bernt Hansen
2008-09-10 14:30:45 UTC
[...]
You can highlight the region you want to export then

M-x narrow-to-region

Do your export and then

M-x widen

to restrict what is included in the export.

Hope that helps.

-Bernt
Giovanni Ridolfi
2008-09-10 14:40:54 UTC
Post by Iris Jackson
The problem I encountered is that org-tags-sparse-tree
shows top-level
headers even if they don't contain the selected tag.
Is there a simple way
to turn that off? For example, if I have a top level
section called "Bugs",
and it does not contain the "project spec" tag,
then I don't want it to show
up in the result :-)
does the manual at section: "Tag inheritance"
help you?:

To limit tag inheritance to specific tags, or to turn it off entirely,
use the variable `org-use-tag-inheritance'.

When a headline matches during a tags search while tag inheritance
is turned on, all the sublevels in the same tree will match as well(1).
The list of matches may then become very long. If you only want to
see the first tags match in a subtree, configure the variable
`org-tags-match-list-sublevels'.

---------- Footnotes ----------

(1) This is only true if the the search does not involve more
complex tests including properties (*note Property searches::).
http://mail.yahoo.it
Giovanni Ridolfi
2008-09-10 15:20:33 UTC
Post by Iris Jackson
The problem I encountered is that org-tags-sparse-tree
shows top-level
headers even if they don't contain the selected
tag.
Post by Iris Jackson
Is there a simple way
to turn that off?
(setq org-show-hierarchy-above nil)

Giovanni

http://mail.yahoo.it
Carsten Dominik
2008-09-13 16:18:17 UTC
Hi Iris,

Org considers the version of the file with only top-levels shown as
the most folded version and does not provide commands that will hide
these.

If the sparse tree exposes an entry deep in the hierarchy, it will
also show the entire headline hierarchy above it. In another reply to
your message, Giovanni has pointed out correctly that the variable org-
show-hierarchy-above can be used to turn off this feature. However,
the top-level headlines are always excluded from this, they are always
visible. Maybe you have set up your file in a way that each project
is a top-level headline? A way out would then be to demote all these
to level two under a top-level headline "Projects" or so. If you then
turn off `org-show-hierarchy-above', maybe you will get closer to the
view you did expect.

HTH

- Carsten
Hi,
Adam
2014-11-17 07:54:37 UTC
Post by Carsten Dominik
Hi Iris,
Org considers the version of the file with only top-levels shown as
the most folded version and does not provide commands that will hide
these.
I would also like to see org-sparse-tree filter top-level headlines by tags.
It seems strange that this behavior would not be consistent... is this a
bug?

Perhaps this can be changed by hooking in some elisp, following
org-sparse-treeā€¦?